Operation Cleft provides free cleft lip and cleft palate repair surgery for underprivileged children in Bangladesh.
Rotary Woodend has committed to funding 10 operations annually.
- Bangladesh is a developing nation of over 160 million people with around 40% living on or below the poverty line.
- Approximately 300,000 people are living with an untreated cleft lip or cleft palate in Bangladesh.
- More than 5,000 children are born with a cleft lip or cleft palate each year.
- Surgical repair of clefts is not covered under Bangladesh’s public healthcare system.
- For a low-income family, the normal cost of a repair operation (around 60,000 taka or A$820) is unaffordable as it is more than their annual income.